Bi-Annual Santa Monica Piano Competition 2022
Competition date: TBD
Application deadline: TBD
The Santa Monica Bay Music Foundation invites talented young local pianists to audition for an award, a cash prize, a chance to play in the winner’s concert, and the opportunity to perform in a masterclass with Piano Legend Oxana Yablonskaya.
Auditions are open to students residing in, taking private lessons, or attending a school located in Santa Monica. Awards are given in the following categories:
Junior Division – Grade level 3-7: first place winner(s) will receive $100.
Senior Division – Grade level 8-12: first place winner(s) will receive $200.
In addition, The John Redfield Scholarship for Excellence Award for $300 may be awarded.
- Round 1 – Junior Division: one selection from each, a) and b) – (uploaded by : TBD)
- Any J. S. Bach Two or Three part invention, or Prelude and Fugue from WTC book 1 or book 2
- Any etude by the following composers: Czerny, Burgmuller, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Liszt
- Round 1 – Senior Division: one selection from each, a) and b) –
(uploaded by : TBD)
- Any J.S. Bach Prelude and Fugue from WTC book 1 or book 2
- Any etude by the following composers: Czerny, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Debussy.
Round 2 – Junior and Senior Divisions (held live, at the Santa Monica Conservatory)
a) First movement of a classical sonata (Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven)
In order to participate: (call 310.576.3600 with any questions)
- Click here, fill out the application form.
- Go to Register Tab to register and to pay a $25 non-refundable registration fee
- Video record both Round 1 selections from both selections a), and b).
All videos must be unedited and include a full view of hands, body, and face.
- Upload video of your selections to your Google Drive account, and share the video with email@example.com.
Round 2 invitations will be communicated by (TBD)
The name of finalists and performance times (between 8am and 4pm) will be communicated by (TBD). Round 2 Finalists (12), will be asked to play both their Round 1 and Round 2 selections. Awards and Winner’s Concert will follow at 6pm. Judges will include Oxana Yablonskaya, Anna Sarkisova, Meriette Saglie, Eva Schaumkell. Their decision will be final, including the decision not to give an award in any or all of the categories.